Wednesday 28 September 2011

Banana thrown at NHL game

Banana thrown at NHL game

Banana thrown at NHL game,A mixed reaction of condemnation and regret flowed Friday after an exhibition NHL game in London, Ont., in which a spectator threw a banana peel at Philadelphia Flyers forward Wayne Simmonds, who is black.

The apparently racist incident happened as Simmonds took part in a shootout to settle his team's pre-season National Hockey League game against the Detroit Red Wings.
One report said bananas were actually thrown at Simmonds twice during the game, but that it was only during the shootout that one reached the ice.




"I've never had a banana thrown at me before," Simmonds told reporters after the game. "I guess it's something I obviously have to deal with, being a black player playing a predominantly white sport. I've grown a lot playing in this league and throughout my whole life. I'm not going to dwell on that. It's over with now."

No comments:

Post a Comment